Date:      Sun, 26 Sep 1999 10:56:31 +1000
From:      Patryk Zadarnowski <patrykz@mycenae.ilion.eu.org>
To:        Christian Carstensen <cc@devcon.net>
Cc:        Chris Costello <chris@calldei.com>, freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: updating packages automatically...

> On Sat, 25 Sep 1999, Chris Costello wrote:
>
> >    Aah!  No!  I tried that with GNOME once and it drove me insane
> > for about two weeks.
> >
> >    Auto-upgrades on ports would be _very_ _very_ bad, especially
> > for those using apache from ports!
>
> that's right. i thought about having some kind of exclude list for ports
> that shall never be upgraded automatically. anyway, the script will just
> generate a shell script output. it should not replace packages without
> manual intervention.

If most FreeBSD  users are like me, you should set  up an include list
instead.  Then, it could actually be sort of useful. Most people would
use it to auto-upgrade packages for beta and other unstable software.

However, I  think that an /etc/periodic/weekly script  that reports on
which packages are outdated in the  weekly report would be a much more
welcome utility ;)

Pat.