Date:      Sun, 03 Mar 1996 17:42:47 +0100
From:      Amedeo Beck Peccoz <monboso@masternet.it>
To:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   xfs not working properly

I'm the sysadmin of our 7 PCs Ethernet LAN and I decided to switch from
Novell Netware to FreeBSD 2.1, so I put xfs 1.91 as a TCP client on the PCs
side, but unforunately I had to observe the following:

1) the FreeBSD server is much slower as now I can only get an average speed
(Norton SYSINFO) of 87 K/s in readings and ONLY 10K/s in writings!!! while I
used to run at 250K/s with the Novell one. Is this a problem in xfs or in
FreeBSD? Note that at present some applications (e.g. Excel) are really
unusable!! :-( I've also noted that nfsstat on the server reports an
execessively high value in the "Server Cache Stats: Misses" value. Is this
correct? How can I configure nfs caches? I haven't found any help in the mans!
Here is a tipical server cache line from nfsstat after 2 day the servers has
being working:
Server Cache Stats:
   Inprog      Idem  Non-idem    Misses
        1        30         0    611022

2) I have to set to rwxrwxrwx (777) the rights of all the files in the
exported dirs to let the clients see them, and for the same reason a line
exists in my /etc/crontab file that executes a "chmod -R 777 /export" every
10 minutes, otherwise the newly created files are not accessibles by other
users. Is this a problem in the FreeBSD rpc.pcnfsd daemon or maybe in the
nfsd daemon or is there something wrong with xfs? I made some experiments
and found out that the clients can properly see a directory if its group is
the login group of the user, but if the group of the dir is another group
the user belongs to, he (or she) cannot enter the dir if I set its rights to
rwxrwx--- (770)

Thanks in advance to anyone helping me solving this problem!