Date:      Tue, 12 Sep 2006 14:11:49 +0100
From:      Mark Cullen <mark.r.cullen@gmail.com>
To:        Keith Phipps <keith.phipps@gmail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: 4x Kernel

Keith Phipps wrote:
> Good Day,
>
> We've got a FreeBSD box that's running 4.10 (that may not be correct, but
> it's 4.x for certain) and it's not seeing our ATA driver on the appliance
> it's been installed on. It's just a small 1u device, 1 hard drive, no RAID.
> The same version installs on the 2u with the RAID controller no problem.
> Best I can tell, 6.1 has the proper ATA driver. ICH7 is what I'm looking
> for.
>
> The build of our boxes are ISO'd on a CD, so I'm wondering the best way to
> get this done - as I've never had to recompile anything and the more and
> more I'm reading, the more and more it looks like I'm going to have to
>
> a) figure out where/how to pull the ICH7 ATA driver from the 6.1 build
> b) how I can recompile the kernel that goes with the ISO
>
> It'd be easy (so google says) if it were anything other than the drive
> controller - but since I can get to the drive, I can't load the OS
> properly,
> can't just replace the kernel that way.
>
> Any and all ideas, resources, etc.. would be helpful, as this was just sort
> of dropped on my plate.
>
> Thanks!
>
> -Keith

Is there any particular reason why you can't just use 6.1? I know it's
probably not what you want to hear, but it's highly likely it's going to
be said if I don't anyway :-)

If it's because of stability, you *could* give NetBSD or OpenBSD a try
perhaps? I had even 4.x panic'ing and locking up on my machine, where
NetBSD 3 is totally stable. I *think* NetBSD 3 supports ICH7 at least.

--
Mark Cullen <mark.r.cullen@gmail.com>
BSc (Hons), Computer Science