Date:      Wed, 13 Jan 1999 00:35:59 +0900
From:      "Photon.Graphics@Bigfoot.com" <photon.graphics@bigfoot.com>
To:        HERBELOT Thierry <Thierry.Herbelot@alcatel.fr>
Cc:        FreeBSD Questions <questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Two install problems with 3.0

HERBELOT Thierry wrote:

> Quoting from the 3.0 Release notes (which you SHOULD have read before
> asking here) :
>
> 2. Supported Configurations
> ---------------------------

[snip]

> I don't see your Adaptec AHA-1520 in the supported, so this may explains
> why you don't see it in the boot messages.
>
>         TfH
>
> You may want to stick with 2.2-Stable if your board is supported there.

Thanks for the quick reply. Perhaps too quick because you didn't
really address my question.

If my card is not supported on 3.0 it either must be an oversight or
there must be a good reason. Perhaps someone in-the-know could shed
some light on this.

> "Photon.Graphics@Bigfoot.com" wrote:
> >
> > Sorry for posting this again but I didn't get an answer....
> >
> > I am trying to install version 3.0 on my 486DX4/100 box and am
> > experiencing two of problems:
> >
> > 1) The uncompressing of the kernel (from a floppy boot of the install
> > program) seems to take a very long time (like minutes).
> >
> > 2) The SCSI driver for my card (Adaptec AHA-1520) doesn't seem to
> > appear on either the boot probing nor the full-screen kernel
> > configuration. On previous versions of FreeBSD device aic0 appeared.
> > With version 3.0, device aic0 seems to be missing.
> > This problem i serious because both my source (CD-ROM) and destination
> > hard disk are on the SCSI device that the install program can't see.
> >
> > Any clues as to what is going on here?
> >
> > Thanks in advance.
> >
> > --

Stephen M Brown                   photon.graphics@bigfoot.com