Date:      Fri, 07 Aug 1998 16:32:40 -0700
From:      Darryl Okahata <darrylo@sr.hp.com>
To:        "Andrew Reilly" <reilly@zeta.org.au>
Cc:        freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: GC, was Re: Heads up on LFS

"Andrew Reilly" <reilly@zeta.org.au> wrote:

> I have copies of a GC-faq by an author too modest even to put an
> e-mail address into it, and an excellent survey article "Dynamic
> Storage Allocation: A Survey and Critical Review" by Paul Wilson,
> Mark Johnstone, Michael Neely and David Boles, somewhere on the
> Web, but I regret that I've lost the original URLs.  If anyone can
> supply these I would be very grateful.

     Search engines are your friend. ;-)  A general memory management
reference is:

	http://www.harlequin.com/mm/reference/bib/misc.html

which points to:

	http://www.harlequin.com/mm/reference/bib/full.html#wil95

which is:

Dynamic Storage Allocation: A Survey and Critical Review"; Paul
R. Wilson, Mark S. Johnstone, Michael Neely, David Boles; University of
Texas at Austin; 1995-07;
<URL:ftp://ftp.cs.utexas.edu/pub/garbage/allocsrv.ps>.

    Dynamic memory allocation has been a fundamental part of most
    computer systems since roughly 1960, and memory allocation is widely
    considered to be either a solved problem or an insoluble one. In
    this survey, we describe a variety of memory allocator designs and
    point out issues relevant to their design and evaluation. We then
    1961 and 1995. (Scores of papers are discussed, in varying detail,
    and over 150 references are given.) We argue that allocator designs
    have been unduly restricted by an emphasis on mechanism, rather than
    policy, while the latter is more important; higher-level strategic
    issues are still more important, but have not been given much
    attention. Most theoretical analyses and empirical allocator
    evaluations to date have relied on very strong assumptions of
    randomness and independence, but real program behavior exhibits
    important regularities that must be exploited if allocators are to
    perform well in practice.

The ftp URL is still valid.

     -- Darryl Okahata
	Internet: darrylo@sr.hp.com

constitute the support, opinion, or policy of Hewlett-Packard, or of the
little green men that have been following him all day.