Date:      Thu, 11 Apr 1996 09:28:45 -0700 (PDT)
From:      "Michael J. Bryan" <mjb@www.willows.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Cc:        mjb@www.willows.com (Michael J. Bryan)
Subject:   Re: Etherlink III problems

Earlier I wrote:

> I am having problems getting my Etherlink III (3c509) card recognized
> by FreeBSD 2.1.
> [...]
> During the probe, I get the following messages:
>
> 1 3C5x9 board(s) on ISA found at 0x300
> ep0: 3c5x9 at 0x300 in test mode. Erase pencil mark!
> ep0: eeprom failed to come ready.
> epprobe: ignoring model ffff
> ep0 not found at 0x300

I originally thought that I had solved this problem by changing
the IRQ (something that needed to be done anyway), but the problem
still exists.  If I follow the "normal" boot sequence, and press
RETURN at the F1 and "Boot" prompts, then the above errors happen.
If, however, I enter "-c" at the "Boot" prompt, and then just give
the two UserConfig commands "ls" and "exit", the card is properly
initialized during the probe.

I've done about eight reboot attempts each way, and the results are
consistent.  Regular boot fails, "-c" with "ls" and "exit" works.
I've tried various combinations of power cycling, pressing the reset
switch, and "shutdown -r", and the problem does not seem to depend
on the method of triggering the reboot.

Any thoughts on the matter?  Knowing how to get things to work, I can
live with this workaround for awhile.  But it is annoying, and doesn't
make a lot of sense.

The exact model of the card is 3c509B-TP, and I am using the 10BaseT
interface.