Date:      Wed, 24 Aug 2005 20:13:02 +0930
From:      "Daniel O'Connor" <doconnor@gsoft.com.au>
To:        Panagiotis Astithas <past@ebs.gr>
Cc:        Doug Barton <dougb@freebsd.org>, freebsd-current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: fontsize and dpi (was Re: Beta2: Nice job!)

--nextPart1146605.uJ3iQbMk4Q

On Wednesday 24 August 2005 17:40, Panagiotis Astithas wrote:
> > So if you have a 76 DPI monitor it ends up 19 pixels high, and for a
> > 300dpi printer it would be 75 pixels high, but as long as the DPI
> > settings are correct they will be the same physical size.
>
> What would you recommend for a WXGA screen (1280x800) that reports:
>
> (--) NVIDIA(0): DPI set to (98, 101)
>
> GNOME picks a default dpi of 96, but what would be the correct value?
> 98, 99, 100 or 101?

98x101 :)
I doubt it matters very much but 100 dpi is probably going to be the best=20
because it's a nice round number.

GNOME doesn't 'pick' 96 DPI, it seems to be just hardcoded to use that valu=
e=20
by default unless the user overrides it.

=2D-=20
are so many of them to choose from."
  -- Andrew Tanenbaum