Date:      Fri, 22 Aug 2003 11:23:54 +0100
From:      Pete Bentley <pete@sorted.org>
To:        freebsd-sparc64@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Netra X1

On Friday, August 22, 2003, at 12:31 AM, Marius Strobl wrote:
> Just curious, could you please try the attached patch and check if the
> MAC addresses get set and then set local-mac-address in the
> OpenFirmware
> and check again if the dc interfaces get different MAC addresses?
> The patch should work (I'm just not sure about the different MAC
> addresses
> part),

I'll have a play with it - it looks helpful but not quite right.

For example if dc_read_eeprom() ever gets a non-zero mac address it'll
skip over the OF code.  Also if local-mac-address? is true it looks like
it'll leave a zeroed MAC address on the interface, but for
local-mac-address?
being false, it'll program the interface with the hosts's MAC address.

That last case is handy for me and possibly others running X1's...

> however Maxime doesn't want to have this in the device driver but
> at a higher level.

I'd agree with that - otherwise doesn't every ethernet driver on sparc64
need extra code to decide whether to respect the local-mac-address
setting?

Pete.