Date:      Tue, 05 Nov 2002 12:55:33 -0700 (MST)
From:      "M. Warner Losh" <imp@bsdimp.com>
To:        alpha@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: HEADS UP, floppy installs desupported for 5.0 (fwd)

[[cc trimmed]]

In message: <XFMail.20021105093952.jhb@FreeBSD.org>
            John Baldwin <jhb@FreeBSD.ORG>
: This is what we do already.  Even i386 now uses 3 floppies to
: install.  The problem is that a really, really stripped down 5.0
: kernel still doesn't fit onto kern.flp with the loader.

Didn't ru just make that possible?  Since we can load all the disk
drivers now from a second/third disk, I think this is a reasonable
compromise for the moment.  In the future, even this might not be
possible, but for now it is.  Assuming that ru, or someone else,
follows through we can continue to support it.  If not, then we can
kill it.

To a certain extent it is incumbent on those that want the feature to
keep it working.  If no one is willing, then we can kill it.  If
someone is willing, and actually spends the time to fix breakages in a
timely fashion, then more power to them.

pc98 and i386 will need a mechanism for booting the installation goo
off floppies, maybe mulitple ones, for some time to come, so if we can
do this in a MI way then we can extend the length of time that we
offer Alpha boot floppies.

Warner