Date:      Wed, 12 Jul 2000 00:44:43 +0530
From:      Rahul Siddharthan <rsidd@physics.iisc.ernet.in>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Vinum/RAID-5 on IDE disks

On a system with 2 IDE buses and 4 disks (2 per bus), is it a good
idea to use RAID 5 / Vinum?  I read of issues regarding performance
and fault tolerance on linux raid when you put two disks on one bus,
and it sounded like that should apply to freebsd too, but I can't find
a specific mention in the vinum documentation.

One problem mentioned there that if a disk goes down, it can take the
bus and therefore the other disk down with it:  it doesn't matter if
the data on the other disk is safe and therefore the system can be
brought back up without data loss.  But is there a likelihood of the
other disk being corrupted in such an event?

If there are performance issues with slave disks, are they likely to
be show-stopping?  Any real-world experiences?

Thanks,

Rahul.

ps the linux document was
   http://linuxdoc.org/HOWTO/Software-RAID-HOWTO-3.html