Date:      Sat, 6 Apr 2002 20:35:02 +0200
From:      Szilveszter Adam <sziszi@bsd.hu>
To:        darklogik@pittgoth.com
Cc:        freebsd-doc@freebsd.org
Subject:   minor nit re advocacy/myths.html

Hello Tom,

[Cc-d to -doc just FYI]

I was just browsing the new advocacy section of the FreeBSD website, and
found the following minor nit:

You say that Netscape now produces a binary for FreeBSD.

I do not know when you wrote this piece of text, so I do not know if it
was true at the time of writing, but it is not true today.

While there was a native version of NS Communicator for FreeBSD in the
4.x series, it died along with that old branch as soon as 6.x came
along. Just as an aside, I am not sorry to see it go: It was in the
"unsupported" section for as long as it existed, used a.out even years
after FreeBSD had made the switch to ELF, necessitating a special
collection of a.out X libraries to be installed (it was rumored that
even if you compiled an a.out lib on your ELF-based machine it would not
always work for NS, so there was a special port containing just the
a.out libs for XFree86 3.3.x compiled on a 2.2.8 machine... brrrr. what
a hack.) and of course there were almost no plugins for it.

Today, if you want to use Netscape, you pretty much are stuck with the
Linux version (the BSDi version died along with the 4.x series too,
AFAIK) and, perhaps, you will be able to use the Solaris version on
sparc64 some day (if such a version exists at all. I have not checked:-)

Of course, if you are not fixated on the "N" logo in the throbber,
Mozilla will work just as fine, and there *is*  a native binary at least
for each milestone build now (provided that something doesn't break it,
in which case fixes tend to be slow...) built for the latest -RELEASE at
the time of building. (so right now, for 4.5). Unfortunately, there is
no nightly snapshot, but it should be a matter of someone donating the
necessary time and resources to do it. Same goes for builds for
-CURRENT. Also, plugins for Mozilla on FreeBSD start to appear: there is
at least Java and Flash (although that one only for Flash 4.x which is not
up-to-date and quite unstable at that too)

Mozilla is both in the ports (updated for each milestone) or can be
built effortlessly (at least on your part, machine may have a different
opinion:-) from CVS as well.

Please excuse this lenghty email, it was not my aim to tease your hard
work, just wanted to make a small point and provide the background for
it. I am not providing a patch because it is your choice to either skip
this example altogether or to reword it as you see fit.

Thanks for your attention!

--
Regards:

Szilveszter ADAM