Date:      Thu, 11 Apr 1996 11:29:21 -0500
From:      Mike Eggleston <mikee@green.eggtech.com>
To:        jlwest@tseinc.com
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: backup packages

> Not sure if I asked this question yet, couldn't find it in the
> archives so here goes...

> We have several servers here (2 freebsd, sco, nt, hp-ux, novell) and
> many workstations (all dos/windows/win95). I'm installing an HP 4mm
> DAT this week, and trying to pick a backup package. I was wondering
> about amanda specifically. If it will backup all the unix systems,
> great. It would be nice to know if it will also back up the NT and
> Novell systems as well. Does anyone know if this is possible with
> Amanda? I'm trying to find a way to put the tape drive on one system
> and backup all the others (including NT & Novell) from that
> one. Will amanda do this? Are there other packages that might?

> Suggestions anyone?

> Thanks!  Jay West

Amanda will back up your NT and Novell servers if you use NFS server
software on the NT and Novell machines so that your Unix servers can
mount their drives as part of the Unix filesystems.  Once this is
done, Amanda will backup the NFS mounts as well and as happily as it
will the normal Unix filesystems.