Date:      Wed, 8 Dec 1999 21:04:24 -0800 (PST)
From:      John Polstra <jdp@polstra.com>
To:        marcel@scc.nl
Cc:        current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Cleaning house on /usr/src/*

In article <384EA2CF.B3E40E35@scc.nl>, Marcel Moolenaar
<marcel@scc.nl> wrote:
> John Polstra wrote:
>
> > Why are you getting these junk directories?  CVSup should be
> > deleting them if they're empty.  You really shouldn't need to
> > wipe out your tree and start over -- not ever.  Did you omit the
> > "delete" keyword from your supfile?
>
> I recently (last week) cvsup'd a -current source tree over a -stable
> source tree with the assumption that cvsup would sort it all out. I
> found out that cvsup doesn't (always?) remove files that are no
> longer pertinent. This is with the delete keyword present.

When you change the tag (e.g., go from -stable to -current or vice
versa), it's a special case.  That's because the "checkouts" file
(which CVSup uses to decide which files to delete) contains the tag
as part of its name.  In the future I may recommend omitting the
"use-rel-suffix" option in order to avoid this problem.  Meanwhile,
the CVSup FAQ has some advice about it in questions 11-13:

    http://www.polstra.com/projects/freeware/CVSup/

If for whatever reason you do think you have some extra files,
there's a script "cvsupchk" in the contrib subdirectory of the CVSup
distribution which will find them for you and delete them.

John
  "No matter how cynical I get, I just can't keep up."        -- Nora Ephron