Date:      Thu, 13 Jan 2000 19:13:26 +0300 (MSK)
From:      "Aleksandr A.Babaylov" <babolo@links.ru>
To:        igor@physics.uiuc.edu (Igor Roshchin)
Cc:        ports@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Port-maintenance

Igor Roshchin writes:
> Your scenario is probably good in some set of conditions,
> when you have all servers running pretty much the same set of ports,
> while I am talking about situation, when each machine has its own set
> of the ports, and therefore, we can consider each machine isolated
> from each other (otherwise, for you case, NFS would be even simpler)
NFS mount of /usr leed to server reliabity down.
When desktop /usr over NFS is good enough
Mobile rack with IDE drive is good enough for upgrade.
About different set of ports:
Are you system administrator for all of it?
So it is convinient to use similar set of ports on each
of your hosts. It costs nothing to have
zilions of ports installed even if not used.
And it costs much if you install every port on
every of your host only when realise that needed port is
not installed. Big overhead in ports tree, distfiles
and main - tips and tricks for ports to install.

> Besides, in many cases the systems and the ports are being
> upgraded while they are working (in the multiuser mode).
> In addition to that - that's done remotely.
It is safty enough to delete opened file and create new one
- both will be kept until close
for example you can delete and create httpd file while server is running.
Yes, some races presents when upgrade live system.
And databases can't be upgraded so simple.

> Again, as I pointed out to  Will and some other people earlier,
> suggested changes are not based on _necessity_,
> but rather on _convinience_ (and elegance).
Yes, you a right, just my 0.02 to estimate
price of different ways

--
@BABOLO      http://links.ru/