Date:      Tue, 1 Jun 1999 10:44:27 -0600 (MDT)
From:      "Kenneth D. Merry" <ken@plutotech.com>
To:        beaupran@jsp.umontreal.ca (Spidey)
Cc:        ken@plutotech.com (Kenneth D. Merry), bigrasje@jsp.umontreal.ca (Jean-Francois Bigras), dwhite@resnet.uoregon.edu (Doug White), freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG (freebsd-questions)
Subject:   Re: Using a DTC 3181x SCSI card under FBSD.

Spidey wrote...
> On Tue, 1 Jun 1999, Kenneth D. Merry wrote:
>
> > Doug White wrote...

> > > Er?  DTC usually uses NCR chips, I thought. 81X sounds like the NCR part
> > > number (810 or 815).
> >
> > Hmm, I didn't realize that.  Well, if that's the case, the best thing to do
> > is just try the card out and see if it works.
>
> Ok then I'll try this... I guess I must include something like:
>
> controller ncr0
>
> in my kernel, right?

Well, yes, if it is a PCI board.  But below you say it's an ISA board, and
therefore it won't work with the NCR driver.  The NCR chips are PCI-only.
(at least the ones supported by the ncr driver)

> > It might help if you can figure out what kind of chip is on there.
>
> How do I determine this? I think I sent to the list the physical details
> of the card, but here they are again...
>
> On the box, there's a sticker with:
> "Model no.: UDS-IS11 PC/ISA
>             P/N:970160-16"
>
> There's another sticker with "1003005" on it.
>
> On the card itself, there's a sticker with "REV: A S/N: H6808100377" and
> it is written
>
> "DTCT 436P
>  9747
>  002-D436P-001"
>
> On a chip.
>
> Otherwise, how can I determine what's the chip? How can I probe it?

Sounds like some sort of DTC chip, as opposed to another vendor's chip.
Unfortunately none of that translates into a DTC card model number..

> > The DTC 3130 is listed as supported by the NCR driver (in the handbook
> > and release notes), and from the DTC web site, it appears that that card
> > has a Symbios chip on it.
>
> Yes, I remarked that it was mentionned in the handbook, but there was no
> associated driver. I found it weird that the handbook doesn't say which
> driver supports which card. anyways...

Well, at least for PCI boards, it's pretty easy to figure out.  Boot a
GENERIC kernel and see what gets probed.

> > As for their other products, I have no idea
> > whether they'll work.  (They certainly don't come right out and say what
> > sort of chips they use.)
> >
> > Is this a PCI or ISA card?  What sort of chip is on the board?
>
> ISA. What  do you mean, what sort of chip?

I mean just the info you gave me above.

> > If it is an ISA card, the two ISA cards listed on DTC's web page claim that
> > they're 100% compatible with Adaptec 1510/1520 boards.  If that's what you
> > have, you're out of luck, since the aic driver hasn't been rewritten for
> > CAM yet.
>
> Darn... Well that's still better than no compatibility at all! :)
>
> I cc this to a friend who's got the same problems with the card, but on
> Red Hat... He's moving to FBSD anyways... :))

Well, there are several possibilities:

1.  The card you have is compatible with Adaptec 1510/1520 boards, like the
    newer ISA boards on DTC's web page.  If that's the case, you're out of
    luck, since the aic driver hasn't been rewritten for CAM.

2.  The card you have uses a DTC proprietary interface.  If that's the
    case, there's no driver for it.

3.  The card you have is compatible with Adaptec 1540/1542 boards.  There
    was apparantly a DTC EISA card that was compatible with the Adaptec
    1540.  At least we claim to support such a card in the release notes.
    If that's the case, you may be able to get it to work.

To test out #3, you'll need to configure a kernel with the aha driver.
Booting a GENERIC kernel will probably be sufficient.

If the card is PNP, it should be detected and configured by the pnp code.
If not, you'll probably need to configure the aha driver in your kernel
config file with an I/O port, irq and DMA channel.

My guess is that #1 or #2 applies to your card.

Ken
--
Kenneth Merry
ken@plutotech.com