Date:      Mon, 25 Mar 2002 18:03:47 -0600
From:      Nick Lozinsky <nl3481@wi.rr.com>
To:        Dillion Klein <dillionklein@hotpop.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG, Andrew Boothman <andrew@cream.org>
Subject:   Re: NTFS w/ FreeBSD dual boot

Dillion Klein wrote:

> I used the FreeBSD Bootmanager successfully last time. But, I ran into
> the following problem(s) last time:
>
> C:\ Primary 5GB (NTFS)
> D:\ Extended 5GB w/ 5GB Logical (NTFS)
>
> Ran the FreeBSD install and ended up deleting the D: and loosing all
> the data (not too much, but this made me start from scratch again).
>
> So, this time I have gotten this far:
>
> C:\ Primary 5GB (NTFS)
>  :\ (no drive letter assigned) (A FAT32 Primary partition, empty) 6.2GB
> D:\ Extended 5GB w/ 5GB Logical (NTFS)
>
> Now, how can I be sure when I go through the FreeBSD installation that I
> use and FreeBSD format the ":\" primary partition created in advance?
>
> I am using  Seagate ST340016A Barracuda ATA IV 40GB hard drive.
>
> Thanks

Hi there,

Either way you do it, its works. If you have a Win2k partition and want to
install FreeBSD on the same drive or not, FreeBSD bootloader will work fine, if
you want to use the Win2k bootloader, then you'll have to copy the /boot/boot1
image to your root c:\ drive and edit the boot.ini file to include something
like so:

c:\boot1="FreeBSD"

and then you'll be able to use the Win2k bootloader.

Have fun.