Date:      Tue, 12 Jan 1999 15:41:11 +0000
From:      "Neil Long" <neil.long@computing-services.oxford.ac.uk>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: HP Travan tape drive

Just a quick follow-up and further plea for help....

The T4000 'worked' fine on a different FreeBSD box (not at all on a
Linux, no idea what to do to make it see it) until I tried a bsf mt
command, now the tape is not at the start or wherever and I get

/kernel: st0(aha0:4:0): MEDIUM ERROR asc:15,2
/kernel: st0(aha0:4:0):  Positioning error detected by read of medium

I can't believe anyone uses these devices for backups ....

any idea how to force it to rewind regardless of position??

Neil