Date:      Sun, 25 Aug 1996 23:28:04 -0400 (EDT)
From:      hoek@freenet.hamilton.on.ca
To:        KUMAR@BOGPO1.CO.unisys.com
Cc:        "questions@freebsd.org" <questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Help!

In Email, "Kumar, Rao                  CO" <KUMAR@BOGPO1.CO.unisys.com> wrote:

> Thanks in advance for your time. I saw your mail id on the Internet. So I am
> sending you this mail
> and would highly appreciate your help.

The newsgroup comp.os.msdos.programmer would be a better forum for this
question.  The mailing-list questions@freebsd.org is intended for
answering questions from users of the FreeBSD UNIX-like operating system.
MS-DOS has extremely little to do with FreeBSD (fortunately).

However,

> I have written a TSR (that runs on MS DOS 6.2) that intercepts the interrupt
>  1C (timer interrupt). What I am
>  trying to do in this interrupt handler is some file i/o (using fopen, fread
> and fclose of Microsoft C).

I'd guess your first problem is that you are using supplied library
functions.

> At times the system hangs. I thought it was due to some conflict in
> simultaneous handling of interrupt 21h by the file i/o calls inside my
> routine and the foreground application. So I tried to do a check for the
> InDOS
> flag before proceeding with my interrupt handling routine, but this flag is
> always 1 when my interrupt
> routine is invoked (even when there is no front end application).

Probably because the InDOS flag is not being set by the front-end
application, but by your interrupt handling routine.

> 2. Is there any other way to know if MS DOS is executing a 21h interrput ?

<shrug>  Insert your own 21h interrupt handler to log whatever goes on?

tIM...HOEk
The opinions expressed above are mine,
and if my employer shares them,
that's his hard luck.