Date:      Sun, 9 Jun 2002 21:35:44 +0200
From:      Philip Paeps <philip@paeps.cx>
To:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: 4.6 Release?

On 2002-06-09 20:23:25, Ruben de Groot <fbsd-q@bzerk.org> wrote:
> On Sun, Jun 09, 2002 at 10:47:47AM -0600, Korey Pelton typed:
> > Yesterday evening, I exchanged the line "*default  tag=RELENG_4_5" with
> > "*default  tag=RELENG_4_6" and cvsup looked like it added a bunch of
> > stuff, so I assume 4.6 is good to go.  I am a newbie, so if anything I say
> > sounds rediculous, please say so.  When I tried to buildworld, however, I
> > got an error saying that "pam_ssh.c" cannot find the file "log.h", so I
> > don't know what is up with that.  Is anyone else getting this error?  I
> > got the same error after trying to do a make cleandir twice and
> > re-cvsuping.
>
> RELENG_4_5 are security related patches against the sources of 4.5-RELEASE.
> You must first update to 4.6-RELEASE (which has not yet been released)
> before you can start following RELENG_4_6.  I think you might have messed up
> your source tree. Beter re-install the 4.5 sources and cvsup RELENG_4_5
> again, or wait a few days and install 4.6 when it comes out.

Not true.  You can build a perfectly working tree from RELENG_4_6.  The 'new
stuff' that comes into the tree, however, are only security patches and other
'critical' things.

It's also always good to follow -STABLE every once in a while.  This one gets
'new stuff' too, but stays stable.

 - Philip

--
Philip Paeps