Date:      Thu, 08 Aug 2002 14:38:09 -0500
From:      "Jack L. Stone" <jackstone@sage-one.net>
To:        trevarthan@wingnet.net, freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: upgrading from 4.6 Release to fix Open SSL

At 03:32 PM 8.8.2002 -0400, Matthias Trevarthan wrote:
>OK. Here is another quick question that has been nagging me ever since I
> began to contemplate this upgrade:
>
>Do I really have to recompile FreeBSD on every machine? Or can I simply copy
>the linker objects and link on each machine?
>
>Or better, yet, can I simply copy binaries?
>
>All machines are arch i386.
>Specs listed below:
>
>Dual i686 1Ghz , running 4.4 Release
>Single i686 1Ghz , running 4.4 Release
>Dual i586 133Mhz , running 4.6 Release
>Single i686 450Mhz , running 4.6 Release
>
>I don't mind recompiling the kernels for each individual machine, I just
> don't want to recompile an entire OS on my dual i686 production box. It's
> CPUs are loaded plenty just from normal use.
>
>Thanks.
>
>Matthias

If you look back over the past two days of messages on "freebsd-questions",
this was discussed. It would sove your problem. The idea is to use one of
the boxes as a "build" box and then from the other machines, mount NFS
/usr/src & /usr/obj to installworld from those. This way you only need to
compile once. Lots of details on the messages.....

Best regards,
Jack L. Stone,
Administrator

SageOne Net