Date:      Thu, 02 Jul 1998 19:25:29 -0500
From:      David Kelly <dkelly@hiwaay.net>
To:        wjw@IAEhv.nl
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Apollo tapes (was: Variant Link implementation, continued)

Willem Jan Withagen writes:
> You ( David Kelly ) write:
> =>  For dd its "conv=swab".
> =>
> =>  To duplicate your tapes use tcopy(1) if you have two tape drives. Tcopy
>
> Well I can't even dd them of either tape. So I've haven't een gotten into
> data incompatibility issues
> Julian suggested RTFM 'mt blocksize'. Which I'll as soon as I reboot to
> get the tape operational on my FreeBSD box.

They were written on 4mm DAT? Not something weird like QIC-100? Saw an
HP "development system" which wrote QIC-100 format to DC-6150 tapes, I
think. Tapes had to be formatted. Then they mounted like a filesystem.
Slower than a tax refund.

In the early bad old days of DAT (more correctly known as DSS) there
were more problems than there should have been with one tape drive not
being able to read tapes from another, all other things the same.