Date:      Wed, 29 Mar 2000 19:57:14 -0500 (EST)
From:      Colin <cwass99@home.com>
To:        "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@zippy.cdrom.com>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Let 3.x die ASAP?

    I realize Jordan doesn't need my help to defend his stand on this issue ;),
but I think there's a reasonable compromise happening here that should be
pointed out.  With a network only 3.5 coming out and 4.0 through cd
distribution, it should not be a great challenge to ensure the 'new' public
focus is on 4.0.  I really suspect reviewers and new users would take a cd over
the reqirement of installing an older release (3.4) then doing a source upgrade
to check out 3.5.  This would, IMHO, pretty much ensure 'the public' seeing the
latest and greatest.
     Having said that, for a variety of reasons I will probably need 3.5 and I
suspect there is a large (albeit silent) group that shares my reasoning:  I
have older equipment that works marvelously with 3.4 but chokes horribly on
4.0, especially during the install.  This relates (I suspect, but I'm still
investigating) back to the ATA issues discussed elsewhere in this list.  I see
no reason to spend the money on an upgrade for a machine that does it's job
perfectly well (it's a spare P133, older drives, etc, running some services for
my home network) with a perfectly acceptable OS.
     I also look forward to 4.1, as I have a newer box running 4.0 ;)

cheers,
Colin