Date:      Mon,  9 Oct 2000 08:48:48 -0700 (PDT)
From:      ambrisko@whistle.com
To:        freebsd-gnats-submit@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   kern/21864: Update Aironet stuff for WEP and fix "tcpdump wedge bug"

>Number:         21864
>Category:       kern
>Synopsis:       Update Aironet stuff for WEP and fix "tcpdump wedge bug"
>Confidential:   no
>Severity:       serious
First there is a bug in that when someone runs tcpdump on the Aironet
an driver it wedges the card.  The problem is that when the card is
in sniff mode the transmitter is disabled.  So I don't let the card
go in sniff mode.  In theory and probably with slow performance we
could bounce the card between sniff mode and then not sniff when we
transmit a packet but I don't know if it is worth it.  This bug has
confunded people debugging a Aironet network with tcpdump etc.

I've implemented WEP in the driver and ancontrol.  It supports the
various WEP modes and setting the various keys.  Similar to the setup
options in the Windows WEP config utility.  It works with a bunch of
cards that I have access to.

Other people have successfully used this.
>How-To-Repeat:

>Fix:
http://www.ambrisko.com/doug/an.patch.wep

Apply at the base of the src tree (ie /usr/src).