Date:      Fri, 19 Dec 1997 16:18:42 +0900 (JST)
From:      Michael Hancock <michaelh@cet.co.jp>
To:        John-Mark Gurney <gurney_j@resnet.uoregon.edu>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: converting drivers to dynamic memory...

On Thu, 18 Dec 1997, John-Mark Gurney wrote:

> > Forget the btree model; it's not going to fly in the face of a direct
> > reference approach.
>
> I will once devfs and the driver interface supports it...  but devfs and
> the interface doesn't even support passing a token yet (well, it does if
> you call minor number a token)... I just proposed a simple stop gap
> meassure that would get the ball rolling..
>
> when did I ever say that we should in the long run choose using a
> btree over the "correct" way to do it??  I only said it would require

Hashing for example is very good in the kernel, even in cases where you
think btrees would be better.  The reasoning is along the lines of what
Koshy was talking about.  If you can abstract things well enough so that
you can make a change later on very easily, by all means carry on.
Someone will find a use for your Btrees elsewhere most likely.

Mike Hancock