Date:      Sat, 26 Feb 2005 02:48:23 -0500
From:      Joe Marcus Clarke <marcus@marcuscom.com>
To:        Jeremy Messenger <mezz7@cox.net>
Cc:        freebsd-gnome@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: How does GNOME 2.9.x in MarcusCom treats you so far?

--=-mC8J6mrYLJ5J/CsNcOyC

On Fri, 2005-02-25 at 17:21 -0600, Jeremy Messenger wrote:
> Hello folks,
>=20
> I want to collect the feedbacks for GNOME 2.9.x in MarcusCom only under =20
> this thread. I would like to know how it treats to you so far. If there i=
s =20
> something in FreeBSD ports that will not working with GNOME 2.9.x, then =20
> please report under this thread too. For like example menu doesn't visibl=
e =20
> in GNOME 2.9.x, mimetype, will not build and etc.
>=20
> The known issue for me so far:
>=20
> 	- totem crash at the start up.
> 	- Few stuff in gnome-system-monitor applet don't work such as
> 	  Processor, Network and Disk.

This is fixed (or should be).  I tested on 4-STABLE, and got positive
results.  I need feedback from 5.X and 6.X users.  If this seems to
work, I'll create another patchset and file a bug.

Note: libgtop2 really needs someone dedicated to fixing it on FreeBSD.
Things like CPU usage and network and disk utilization work, but could
probably be better.  Things like per-process stats are horribly broken,
and need some love to be even slightly useful.  If anyone was looking
for a good way to get involved with GNOME and FreeBSD (and really learn
some of the nuts and bolts of FreeBSD in the process), this would be a
great way.

> 	- ruby-gtk2/ruby-gnome2 don't build, next week should have a new
> 	  release.
> 	- dasher crash at the exit. I know that marcus has committed that is
> 	  supposed to fix it, but it doesn't fix.

This is fixed now.  I verified it with debugging malloc options on
4-STABLE, and was unable to reproduce the crash.

>=20
> 	  % pkg_info | grep dasher
> 	  dasher-3.2.13_2
>=20
> 	  http://people.freebsd.org/~mezz/gdb/gdb-dasher.txt
> 	- anything else? add under here.

Well, this isn't a bug in the FreeBSD port, but the vfolder methods have
been removed from gnome-vfs.  This means that locations such as
applications:/// and preferences:/// no longer work.  I haven't heard
about a replacement for menu editing yet.

Non-US users may notice that their menus are no longer localized in
GNOME 2.9.  This is due to the migration from vfolders to gnome-menus.
Translators are still working on the gnome-menus module, and the next
release should have considerably more translations.  Still to come:
Gujarati, Arabic, Nepali, Polish, updated British English, and Korean.

Joe

>=20
> Cheers,
> Mezz