Date:      Tue, 27 Feb 2001 08:51:02 -0600
From:      "Jacques A. Vidrine" <n@nectar.com>
To:        Christian Weisgerber <naddy@mips.inka.de>
Cc:        Steve Price <steve@FreeBSD.org>, freebsd-ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: ksh93

On Tue, Feb 27, 2001 at 03:42:26PM +0100, Christian Weisgerber wrote:
> I was under the impression that it is our policy to build shells
> statically.  Looking into ports/shells, I see that the actual
> picture is one of confusion.

Surprise :-)

> > While this might be useful for some environments, it has the
> > disadvantage that it nullifies the Korn shell's very useful dynamic
> > `builtin').
>
> Does anybody use this?

I do.  It makes ksh93 quite handy for test scaffolding.

> You probably can't built extension objects without libshell, which
> the port doesn't install.  (It depends in turn on libast, and you
> end up installing much of the AST environment, which IMO is beyond
> the scope of a ksh port and should be left to a port of the ast-open
> package.)

I agree.

> > I think this should default to building a dynamic executable.  A knob
> > for building a static version would be nice.
>
> Fine with me.  I also picked up your suggestion for setting SHELL.
> (Is this required for the extraction step, too?)

I don't know -- I only tripped on it when building the package.
On the other hand, personally I think you should nuke the custom
do-extract target -- it is not needed.  See the port I attached
with my previous message.

I also do not see the purpose of most of the patches you supplied with
this port -- could you explain them to me if you have a chance?
Only
      patch-src_cmd_ksh93_Mamfile
      patch-src_cmd_ksh93_sh_1
      patch-src_lib_libast_features_limits_c
seem useful.  Maybe the others are the result of problems you saw on
-CURRENT or 3.x?

Cheers,
--
Jacques Vidrine / n@nectar.com / jvidrine@verio.net / nectar@FreeBSD.org