Date:      Tue, 1 Jun 1999 13:59:47 -0500 (EST)
From:      Alfred Perlstein <bright@rush.net>
To:        "Scott I. Remick" <scott@computeralt.com>
Cc:        Dan Nelson <dnelson@emsphone.com>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: ipfw vs. MS Proxy

On Tue, 1 Jun 1999, Scott I. Remick wrote:

> At 02:07 PM 6/1/1999 , you wrote:
> >ipfw is packet filtering, not proxying.  For that you probably want
> >squid and/or natd.
>
> This was my understanding as well.  I've actually looked at squid.
>
> >Exactly what are the advertised features of MS Proxy, and what are the
> >features you are looking for?
>
> They're looking at it from a security standpoint.  Which I agree with
> totally... I've always wanted a firewall.  There never seems to be money
> available for my FreeBSD projects, but if someone describes the same need
> using MS "solutions", then everyone gets excited :(

I'm quite sure MS-proxy is the correct choice for you, it's VERY
cool, it'll even proxy outside connections INTO your network!

Do yourself a big favor and search bugtraq for this, supposeddly
people were able to fool ms-proxy into making internal connections
to proxied networks by spoofing proxy requests.

> The idea is to do just what a firewall does: filter traffic between our
> private network and the outside world.  I'd like to see a FreeBSD box with
> 2 NICs dropped into place, running ipfw, to perform this task fairly
> invisibly.  They'd like to use MS solutions because "that's what we sell"
> and they don't like FreeBSD solutions because NOEKI (No One Else Knows It)
> except for me.  Grrr.

Buy them the Complete FreeBSD.  Explain that you'll save them
2000$+cost of ms-proxy.  IPFW syntax isn't that horrible to
master.

> I'm not totally up on either, but I've got some concerns that MS Proxy is
> even up for the task that they want to give it.  Sure, it can proxy and
> cache HTTP info and the like, but I don't think it's much of a firewall...
> am I correct?  Hopefully someone can help me out here.

Using MS products as a firewall solution is cool, because when
you blue screen, you effectively completely firewall off your
entire operation.

</sarcasm>

It's a shame your co-workers seem to be lacking clue.  Good luck
with your advocacy. :)

-Alfred