Date:      Thu, 25 Apr 1996 09:49:08 -0700 (PDT)
From:      "Eric J. Schwertfeger" <ejs@bfd.com>
To:        Terry Woods <twoods@ccgate.sos.state.il.us>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSd.org
Subject:   Re: Net connected printer

On Thu, 25 Apr 1996, Terry Woods wrote:

> In a previous message, Terry Woods said:
> >>

> >>      I have a network Lexmark 4029 using a HP Jetdirect
> >interface.
> >>      What dev (lp=) should I use in the printcap
>
> >The HP JetDirect card is not a lpd server. You need software from HP
> >to talk to it. As far as I know that software is available for
> >HP/UX, SunOS and Solaris. It works quite well.
>
> >The JetDirect does talk appletalk and (I think) Novell, directly.

Depends on the revision of the JetDirect card.  Most recent ones are
TCP/IP capable and lpd servers.  I think all the JetDirect EX boxes are
as well.

I print to any one of 3 HP4/HP4+'s with no fancy software.  Here's a
sample printcap entry.

lp|hp4sales1|Sales HP4 Plus 1:\
  :lp=/dev/null:rm=hp4sales1.bfd.com:rp=text:sd=/var/spool/lpd/hp4sales1:mx#0:

You will need to use some HP software to configure the card, but even the
windows version of the software will let you set up the IP address info,
and once that's done you can finish the configuration by telneting into
the printer.

Oh, and the cards support syslog.  It's loads of fun watching messages pop
up in xconsole about a printer 100 yards away is jammed/out of
paper/door open, etc.