Date:      Wed, 5 Feb 2003 14:39:31 -0600 (CST)
From:      "M. L. Dodson" <bdodson@scms.utmb.EDU>
To:        bakul@bitblocks.com
Cc:        tlambert2@mindspring.com, rsidd@online.fr, giffunip@yahoo.com, freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: GGI (was: Project Status)

On  5 Feb, Bakul Shah wrote:
>> X has forever suffered from fixed cell rendering.  GGI will not fix
>> this; changing X would.  Several companies have done this in the
>> past: NeXT, with NeXTStep, Sony with NeWS, etc.
>
> Terry, your memory needs some sort of ECC.  It was Sun who
> did NeWS (Network extensible Window System).  SGI too picked
> it up for a while.  IIRC Sony had a machine called News (with
> whatever cApItaLization) but that is a horse of a different
> color.

Yes.

> If by fixed cell rendering you mean one-to-one mapping
> between a character and a glyph (grpahical shape) I agree.
> The situation with Indic scripts is considerably more complex
> where multiple characters can map to a single glyph, where
> there are many more glyphs than characters, the glyph of a
> char depends on the position of the char in a word and so on.
> But without kernel based graphics support I don't see any
> hope of getting truly first class support for Indic scripts.
>
>> > ridiculously slow machines.  SGI became a graphics powerhouse using X.
>
> IIRC SGI used NeWS before X but I am not 100% certain.

Yes.  But early on, SGI hot rodded X with very good drivers for their
proprietary graphics hardware pipelines and with very good 3D drivers.
Anyone remember 4Dwm and GL (_not_ OpenGL)?  They got 3D rendering
performance reasonably comparable to OpenGL on today's Intel machines
with processors roughly comparable to a P5-166.  So saying SGI used X
is somewhat misleading, sort of like saying Michael Schumacher drives
a car for a living.

M. L. Dodson

--
M. L. Dodson                                bdodson@scms.utmb.edu
409-772-2178                                FAX: 409-772-1790