Date:      Sat, 25 Oct 1997 19:32:24 +0000
From:      =?iso-8859-1?Q?=DEor=F0ur?= Ivarsson <totii@est.is>
To:        "Jamil J. Weatherbee" <jamil@trojanhorse.ml.org>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Parity Ram

Jamil J. Weatherbee wrote:

> Can someone fill me in on when you would want to use parity ram as opposed
> to non-parity ram these days?  If there was some anomaly in memory how
> would freebsd handle it (is there a trap for parity error?)

As far as I know, the 'parity check fail' is connected to NMI of CPU.
In most cases the BIOS rutines accept this and halt the computer with no
information on where or why , only something like 'NMI detected, system
halted' or
'Memory parity fail - NMI generated , system halted'.

The only reason for this might be giving you some warning of failed
memory rather
than failed software.

This has helped me several times when I was suspecting broken memory in
the old days (90-93) :-)

Thordur Ivarsson