Date:      Sat, 25 Mar 2000 07:53:35 +1030 (CST)
From:      Greg Lewis <glewis@trc.adelaide.edu.au>
To:        Nate Williams <nate@yogotech.com>
Cc:        freebsd-java@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Pre-alpha JDK 1.2.2 patches -- issues

> > JNI is the Java Native Interface and lets Java code talk to native libraries
> > written in other languages. We use it to interface the the JavaCOMM API so
> > we can interface with GPS hardware.
> > JCE (Java Cryptographic Extensions), and JSSE (Java Secure Socket
> > Extensions) are Sun extensions to JDK2.
>
> The JNI stuff won't work (obviously), but I'm suprised that JCE and JSSE
> don't work with the Blackdown port, or do they use JNI?

Notionally you could get the JNI stuff working with the Linux version of
gcc in the linux-devel port yeah?  Admittedly this would be a pain in the
backside, especially when compiling a complex application like Swarm
(www.swarm.org) which uses a bunch of third party shared libraries.

In fact, JNI is the biggest single reason that motivated me :).

--
Greg Lewis 				glewis@trc.adelaide.edu.au
Computing Officer			+61 8 8303 5083