Date:      Sat, 17 Jan 1998 15:09:28 +0000 ()
From:      Gary Roberts <gdr@ajax.che.curtin.edu.au>
To:        hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   3c509 woes

I've had several machines running various OS versions from 2.1.x to 2.2.2
with various 3C509 cards including 3C509B.  I've never had a problem with
these cards before now.  At the moment, I'm desperately trying to set up
2.2.5R on a machine with a 3C509-TP card that has been running quite
happily on a Novell network.  I've now tried two different cards, neither
of which are recognised by the probe (ep0 not found at 0x300).  The cards
are not P&P and I've checked both with 3C5X9CFG.EXE under DOS.  I've
checked and rechecked the configuration of both.  Below is what the 3COM
utility says about each card.  Both cards are identified as 3C509-TP
Etherlink III 16 bit ISA NIC's.  I'm trying to run them in a 486DX2/66
very generic machine (just IDE, FD, SVGA and ethernet).

Property or Info               Card 1         Card 2
================               ======         ======
NIC type                       TP             TP-only
Date of manufacture            6/5/90         9/14/94
Division Code                  6              6
Product Code                   MA             AB
ASIC Revision                  1              1
I/O Base Address               300H           300H
IRQ                            10             10
Boot PROM                      Disabled       Disabled
Tranceiver                     On Board TP    On Board TP
Network Driver Optimisation    DOS Client     DOS Client

I've tried several boot disks (2.2.2R and 2.2.5R included) and all fail
to see either card even when the cards are reconfigured to different
I/O Addrs (0x320 for example).

Anyone got a clue about this???

Cheers,
--