Date:      Tue, 12 Jan 1999 09:46:45 -0600
From:      ghartline@cng.dl.nec.com
To:        "Praying Mantis" <mantis32@thepentagon.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: routing problem? solution?

Hmmm...  This gets more and more interesting.  For the helluva it, you
might check your /etc/services file.  I can't imagine what could have
happened to it, but I suppose it's possible that your box is using funky
port numbers for these.  You're not going through a proxy or firewall,
right?  This is just a straight ISP connection?  You said before (I think)
that if you telnet to your bsd box first, then telnet to, say,
165.254.124.10, it works fine; is that right?  Are the logins the same
between the console and the telnet connection (same user/password)?

Don't you love getting a barrage of questions in response to a question?

Grant

>telnet> open
>(to) way.com
>Trying 165.254.124.10...
>telnet: Unable to connect to remote host: Connection refused
>telnet> open
>(to) 165.254.124.10
>Trying 165.254.124.10...
>telnet: Unable to connect to remote host: Connection refused

>The ip address is a public one, i am able to traceroute it. Anything that
i can try?