Date:      Fri, 14 Apr 2000 09:21:01 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Pete <pete@r1476.resnet.cornell.edu>
To:        ports@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   netpbm 8.4 port - can't compile against libpnm anymore

I'm running FreeBSD 3.4-RELEASE (stable?)

comment regarding the netpbm 8.4 port (sorry if i'm
out of date):

to link libpbm into your programs, you used to need
{$PREFIX}/include/pbm.h, etc.
{$PREFIX}/lib/libpbm.a, etc.

but apparently the new netpbm also relies on sshopt.

shhopt is a getopt-like thing which is bundled with netpbm under
/usr/ports/graphics/netpbm/work/netpbm-8.4/shhopt,
and is used to build all the netpbm stuff, but
sshopt is not installed along with netpbm

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
so by default, after installing the netpbm port,
compiling against the libpnm's fails!
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

for me, fixing it was easy- the sshopt directory contains
a cookbook INSTALL file (gmake dep; gmake; gmake install;)
- but the netpbm port should take care of this.

(sucks for me because I'm about to distribute something
at work that instructs the user to install netpbm, and
then says its almost certain to work... hmm, what now?)

thanks a lot... by the way, what's happening to
netpbm these days? is it beginning to evolve once again?
(I had the impression that it reached a real stable/mature form)

-Peter Weisz