Date:      Tue, 28 Nov 2006 16:17:06 +0100
From:      Matthias Fechner <idefix@fechner.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Sendmail and smtp-auth against passwd

Hi,

* Vince <jhary@unsane.co.uk> [27-11-06 11:03]:
> define(`confAUTH_MECHANISMS', `LOGIN PLAIN DIGEST-MD5 CRAM-MD5')
> TRUST_AUTH_MECH(`LOGIN PLAIN DIGEST-MD5 CRAM-MD5')

thx for all the answers even the PMs I got.
I found the problem now:
The problem is/was if you have the two lines:
define(confAUTH_MECHANISMS', LOGIN PLAIN DIGEST-MD5 CRAM-MD5')
TRUST_AUTH_MECH(LOGIN PLAIN DIGEST-MD5 CRAM-MD5')

sendmail uses the sasldb for authentification but if you replace them
with:
define(confAUTH_MECHANISMS',PLAIN LOGIN')dnl
TRUST_AUTH_MECH(PLAIN LOGIN')dnl

everythings works fine.

So it is necessary to disable strong authentification. It seems that
the saslauthd cannot handle it :(

Best regards,
Matthias

Rich Cook