Date:      Fri, 9 May 2008 16:48:50 -0700
From:      "David Schwartz" <davids@webmaster.com>
To:        "Freebsd-Chat@Freebsd. Org" <freebsd-chat@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Building 32-bit binaries on 64-bit 6.3

	I've been looking for a way to build 32-bit x86 binaries on an AMD64
install of FreeBSD 6.3 STABLE. It has been an exercise in frustration with
every technique hitting some other obstacle. Is there some easy way to do
this that I'm overlooking?

	It's annoying that passing the default install of GCC a '-m32' causes it to
sort of work. Trying to build a cross-compiler from the ports fails too.

	Why doesn't '-m32' just work? The libraries must already be there since I
can run 32-bit binaries. Is it just missing/broken headers?

http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/query-pr.cgi?pr=115784&cat=
"We do not support general i386 binary building on freebsd/amd64."
Why?

	As a more general question, shouldn't it be easy to build binaries for any
supported FreeBSD platform on any other supported platform?

	DS