Date:      Wed, 23 Jul 1997 12:25:55 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Tony Kimball <Anthony.Kimball@East.Sun.COM>
To:        msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au
Cc:        jkh@time.cdrom.com, Anthony.Kimball@East.Sun.COM, kuku@gilberto.physik.rwth-aachen.de, sos@sos.freebsd.dk, freebsd-hardware@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: building RAID systems

Quoth Michael Smith on Thu, 24 July:
:
: Well, as I was saying, the 4GB ultra-SCSI IBM is AUD$533 (ex) here, or
: US$373.  That's gotta count as "pretty cheap", hmm?
:

That is competetive -- although yet premium for capacity, I'm more
than willing to pay that much for the performance.  I hope this price
shows up in my searches soon!  So far the best price I've seen on this
drive is $478.  I just found that because I did a search, prompted by
your posting.  (Thanks!)

Now let's talk cables.  I find IDE cables washed up on the beach in
piles.  A UW cable costs me $29-$79 from CSC...

Passing fair IDE controllers are mandatory (you pay for them whether
you want them or not).  A decent SCSI controller is another $200,
discretionary.

So, suppose that I am starting from scratch...  I can add 6.4G to my
system for $350, or else I can spend $30 + $200 + $478 = $708 and get
4.3G for my trouble.

Now this equation does not apply to me personally, because I already
have more than enough SCSI controllers to go around, but surely you
can see how this argument can easily prove persuasive to the new
system builder.