Date:      Fri, 30 Aug 1996 22:12:30 +0200 (MET DST)
From:      J Wunsch <j@uriah.heep.sax.de>
To:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org (FreeBSD hackers)
Cc:        moeding@bn.DeTeMobil.de
Subject:   Re: Removeable disks on 2.1.5

As Stefan Moeding wrote:

> 1. The Syquest is attached to the uk-driver. Is anyone working on the
>    driver code? Does the sd-driver support removeable disks?

Yes, they are supported.  What does your drive claim to be?

> 2. I get kernel error messages 'device offline' when doing a 'mt status'
>    without a tape in the drive. It's a tape drive, so I would say that
>    offline is not exactly an error state. Any comments?

`offline' is *exactly* that error state.  No cartridge in drive.  No
status available.

The errno message passing is insufficient to express all the details
that SCSI devices used to report.  Thus, the kernel (and syslog)
message is more explanatory.

--
cheers, J"org