Date:      Wed, 18 Oct 1995 07:30:20 +0300 (MSK)
From:      =?KOI8-R?Q?=E1=CE=C4=D2=C5=CA_=FE=C5=D2=CE=CF=D7?= (aka Andrey A. Chernov, Black Mage) <ache@astral.msk.su>
To:        Terry Lambert <terry@lambert.org>
Cc:        core@FreeBSD.ORG, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG, kaleb@x.org, phk@critter.tfs.com, wollman@lcs.mit.edu
Subject:   Re: Locale stuff: call for conclusion.

In message <199510180207.TAA29166@phaeton.artisoft.com> Terry Lambert
    writes:

>> Well... What is our final decision about XPG4->XPG3 migration?
>> Does your words about #define XPG4 means that Garrett
>> agrees to #ifdef XPG4 ?

>No.  He wants localization to take place to XPG/4, if it takes place
>at all.

>In the runic case of XPG/4, he wants the declaration "doesn't work",
>and thus it will poke its head up the first time someone in a runic
>locale trys to run an 8 bit clean piece of code that sets locale but
>is not capable of handling runes.

>My suggestion is:

>4)	Use #ifdef'ed code to make a seperate XPG/4 library from the
>	same code that results in an XPG/3 library integrated with the
>	C library.

See below.

>	Use object module dependencies in the XPG/4 version of the
>	library to cause it to be completely dragged in place of the
>	libc XPG/3 code if it is linked before the libc which contains
>	the XPG/3 code.  I believe there is a shared library problem
>	that this will cause to show up: shared library symbols will
>	override non-shared library symbols.  This has to be fixed.

See below.

>	Add XPG/3 localization to all 8-bit clean code.

I plan to do it by adding setlocale(LC_ALL, "") into main()
of each 8bit clean program.

>	Leave all 8-bit unclean code unlocalized.

Alternative: cleanup 8bit unclean code.

>	Use ISO 8859-1 as the C locale.

We already agree. I expect some sort of patch from you or Kaleb.

>	Add a directive to the default .mk files to cause the use of
>	XPG/4 instead of XPG/3 when the directive is specified.

See below.

Well, here is *below*.

I not fully understand why mess with linker here. My idea is left
XPG4 inplace, but restrict it to load only XPG3 valid data for now.
In this case it will looks like XPG3 from program point of view,
moreover, large part of my hack (XPG3 restrictions) will be removed too
automatically.
Later we can easily switch to XPG4 by removing those restrictions.

--
Andrey A. Chernov        : And I rest so composedly,  /Now, in my bed,
ache@astral.msk.su       : That any beholder  /Might fancy me dead -