Date:      Tue, 11 Jul 2000 12:26:57 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Linh Pham <lplist@q.closedsrc.org>
To:        Rahul Siddharthan <rsidd@physics.iisc.ernet.in>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Vinum/RAID-5 on IDE disks

It's always best to separate heavy I/O drives (mainly hard drives) onto
separate IDE channels. But, that doesn't always mean that you get a whole
lot more performance that way.

Remember that a standard UltraDMA controller can handle up to 33MB/s per
channel, ATA/66 doubles that, and finally ATA/100 brings it up to 100MB/s.

Also remember that hard drives usually cannot soak up the entire ATA
channel, but some drives can. But also another note is that only one drive
can communicate on a specific IDE channel at any given time. This might
reduce the overall thoroughput, but again, it's not always going to be the
bottleneck.

// Linh Pham
//
// Proud supporter of FreeBSD and OpenBSD
// FreeBSD - http://www.freebsd.org
// OpenBSD - http://www.openbsd.org

/*	"Oregon, n.:
		Eighty billion gallons of water