Date:      Tue, 23 Mar 1999 13:05:24 -0600
From:      Juan Kuuse <kuuse@quik.guate.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Newbie with package problems (file managers and StarOffice)

I am new to FreeBSD and to UNIX in general.
Browsing my 3.0-RELEASE CD, I evaluate packages (X11-fm, file managers).

I list the packages and the problems:
asfiles            -  how do I run it?
explorer        -  hardly  no functions are working. Not implemented?
jafm               -  generates lots of windows after browsing for a
while, eh?
offix-files     -  how do I run it?
q3dmenu      -   beatiful but not useful, eh?
workplace    -  starts sometimes, but crashes every now and then with
the "** ERROR **: sigsegv caught" message.
xfm                 -   works OK, but maybe a bit too simple for my
taste. Any alternatives?

Another question is about StarOffice 3. 1 (also on the CD-ROM):
Typing 'swriter' at the prompt, I only get the following message:

Trying to initiate
User Install required before swriter3 can be run, please wait...
/usr/local/bin/swriter3: /usr/local/StarOffice-3.1/linux-x86/bin/setup:
not found
Can't find initialisation script /root/.sd.sh, User Install must be
completed before swriter3 can be run.

Any ideas about this error?

A general question about packages:
And how do I find out where they are installed and which command to use
to run them?
(It isn't always mentioned in the info given by pkg_info.)

I would appreciate a CC to kuuse@quik.guate.com
as I'm not subscribing to the list at the moment.

Thanks in advance!

/Juan Kuuse