Date:      Thu, 30 Mar 1995 13:18:27 +0200
From:      "wmbfmk@urc.tue.nl" <wmbfmk@urc.tue.nl>
To:        "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@freefall.cdrom.com>
Cc:        asami@cs.berkeley.edu (Satoshi Asami/=?ISO-2022-JP?B?GyRCQHUbKEI=?= =?ISO-2022-JP?B?GyRCOCsbKEIgGyRCOC0bKEI=?=), ports@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Let's make the packages/ dir look clean!

> > My suggestion is that package names should be the format

> This sounds good to me, though I might ask whether or not it would also
> pay dividends if we were to seize this opportunity to CATAGORIZE the
> packages at the same time.  We should come up with a <pkgdir>/<catagory>
> scheme where the packages are dumped according to where they came from
> in the ports hierarchy.  Using a LINKS type of scheme, it should also
> be possible for a package to link itself into multiple catagories
> and thus provide a de-facto "ueberpackage" scheme like Paul T. was
> talking about - my installation program can just get the top level
> directory names (some of which will represent ports catagories and
> some which won't) and show the various packages within it as the
> contents of the ueberpackage.

Could there also be a scheme to make packages possible,
which will group applications not on where they came from but to
targets usable for a specific purpose.

Examples would be:

	net-package
		-web browser
		-communication program (Seyon, minicom)
		-mail front end
		-news reader
		-pop client

	"FreeBSD-Works" :-)
		-tex
		-ispell
		-tgif
		-xspread
		-database program
	etc.

These could be directories containing links to applications elsewhere
in the packages tree.

Marc.