Date:      Mon, 19 Aug 2002 04:31:14 +0900 (JST)
From:      Hiroki Sato <hrs@jp.FreeBSD.org>
To:        absinthe@pobox.com
Cc:        freebsd-doc@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Please review: new Java Project docs

Hi,

Dylan Carlson <absinthe@pobox.com> wrote
  in <200208171607.12234.absinthe@pobox.com>:

absinthe> 1.  &man.command.section doesn't build links, it just builds plaintext.  Here
absinthe> is what I have set in book.sgml:

 Did you use freebsd.dsl?  If so, references to man pages should be rendered
 as <a> elements.

 freebsd.dsl has slightly different customizing layer from original nwalsh's
 DSSSL stylesheet (the latest version of nwalsh's uses %citerefentry-link%
 knob to realize it).

absinthe> 2.  I haven't figured out how to include a footer with a "Last modified"
absinthe> date/time stamp based on the source .sgml mtime.

 Hmmm, it is not impossible, but is a little bit difficult.  Any other
 docs maintained by FDP do not use the feature.  If you think to add
 the docs as FDP's ones, I personally think that to keep the style
 consistency is better.

absinthe> 3.  I couldn't get <link> tags to work with id's set inside of <para>.

 Could you show a sgml source in question?

absinthe> 4.  There were a few places I would have liked to insert a <hr> on the output.
absinthe> It looks that DocBook doesn't support this, however I am curious if there are
absinthe> solutions.

 DSSSL stylesheet supports some object rules by default.  For detail, see also
 <URL:http://docbook.sourceforge.net/release/dsssl/current/doc/html/r1988.htm>.
 If you want to put rules that cannot be done in this way, you have to write
 a DSSSL code, or modify docbook.css.  In either case, stylesheets are
 responsible for appearance, not DocBook itself.

absinthe> 5.  <orderedlist> <itemizedlist> numbers and bullets format strange on
absinthe> Konqueror browsers (the number/bullet is shifted up slightly from the
absinthe> <listitems>) ... otherwise everything else on Konqueror looks better vs.
absinthe> Mozilla 1.0.

 This problem can be relieved by customizing a CSS stylesheet.

absinthe> 6.  I wanted some more control over how <sect3> <sect4> <sect5> get laid out.
absinthe> I wanted to have <sect3>'s build as separate pages with indexes of <sect4>
absinthe> and <sect5>'s nested underneath but was unsure how to do this ... so I was
absinthe> forced to flatten the document structure out at <sect2> whenever possible.

 This sort of customization needs to modify a DSSSL stylesheet (for example,
 redefining $section-title$ and so on).

-- Hiroki SATO  <hrs@eos.ocn.ne.jp>