Date:      Sun, 01 Oct 2000 20:31:22 GMT
From:      Salvo Bartolotta <bartequi@inwind.it>
To:        FlamezOn <whitehead_9874878@yahoo.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Installation Question

On 10/1/00, 6:57:29 PM, FlamezOn <whitehead_9874878@yahoo.com> wrote
regarding Installation Question:

<snip>

> I gotta another problem.I have DOS/Extend Partitions
> :D:\Win98 E:\Wnntsrv F:\WnntWorkstation G:\FreeBSD and
> I wanted to know,If I could install the FreeBSD
> last(keeping in mind that 1024cylinder limitation) and
> if so, will It see my NTFS partitions DURING IT'S
> INSTALLATION and how will I know where to sit my
> FreeBSD slice if it does you  the same naming
> convention as DOS.

Dear "FlamezOn",

I am not quite sure that FreeBSD can be installed **within** an
extended partition -- at least, I have never tried such an operation
(whether legal/possible/sensible or not).

AFAIK, FreeBSD is installed in one **primary** partition, which is
called "slice" (in Unix parlance); the slice may be further subdivided
into pieces that are called "partitions". In a way, this recalls the
DOS extended partition scheme, but it is more flexible: each slice can
have up to 8 subdivisions, ie up to 6 different filesystems + swap + a
reference to the entire slice...

By the way, you can access NTFS partitions (in DOS parlance) once you
have installed your system, as well as Linux partitions (ext2fs).

> I know where my dos partition is for it but I'm not
> sure if I have the correct specification for FreeBSD's
> specification for its extended G: I mounted on the
> unused area under what I thought the g: drive to be
> /dev/wd0s7

I am not sure that I have fully understood your last sentence.
An extended (DOS) partition, or rather, its components (logical
partitions), are label(l)ed "adNsM", N being the number of the hard
disk (eg 0,1,2 ...), and M being the number of the "subpartition" (or
logical partition) within the extended partition, M >=3D5. If you
correctly give the name of the "subpartition" you wish to access (eg
/dev/ad0s7) to the appropriate mount command (eg mount_ext2fs), you
can access the data in an extended partition. I hope this doesn't
sound too much confusing :-)

Incidentally, I have installed a good number of OSes
(DOS/Windoze9x/NT, BeOS, Linuces, *BSD), and I can grant you that
installing FreeBSD is easy; you only need to pay a little attention to
what you do. More info at
http://www.freebsd.org/handbook/install.html, and/or in Greg Lehey's
book (The Complete FreeBSD 3rd ed).

HTH,