Date:      Thu, 06 Nov 1997 19:58:39 GMT
From:      mouth@ibm.net (John Kelly)
To:        hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Startech 16650

On Thu, 6 Nov 1997 10:09:40 -0800 (PST), "Eric J. Schwertfeger"
<ejs@bfd.com> wrote:

>> >No, 16650's run the port at 4x whatever speed you set it to.
>>
>> Only if using a 7.3728 MHz clock.  But if using the typical 1.8432 MHz
>> clock found on older serial adapters you will get the usual 1x speeds.
>
>Actually, I think the 16650 has a software flag to quadruple the baud
>rate

NO.  This is a good example of UART confusion.

On a 16650, by default MCR bit 7 is "0" and in this state the 650 UART
will set the baud rate according to the input clock (in MHz) divided
first by the two-byte value contained in the divisor latch MSB and
LSB, and then further divided by 16.

Take for example:   a 16650 UART with a 7.3728 MHz clock, and the
value 1 in the divisor latch.  Divide 7,372,800 by 1 and then by 16;
the answer is 460,800 which is the *maximum* baud rate for the 650
with a 7.3728 MHz clock.  However, the maximum baud rate of 460,800
can be lowered by increasing the divisor latch to values above 1.  For
instance, 192 (decimal) gives a baud rate of 2400, at least in the
case where a 7.3728 MHz clock is used.

While MCR bit 7 remains undisturbed at its default value of "0" it may
*seem* like there is a "software flag to quadruple the baud rate" but
the higher baud rate actually results from the higher clock input of
the 7.3728 MHz clock, not the effect of MCR bit 7.

The effect of setting MCR bit 7 to "1" is exactly the opposite; it
further divides the baud rate by 4 to maintain compatibility with
older 550 software when the higher 7.3728 clock is used.

John