Date:      Tue, 15 Mar 2011 09:54:23 +0000
From:      Mike Scott <mike@scottsonline.org.uk>
To:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: problems booting 8.x kernel

On 14/03/11 18:48, Olivier Cochard-Labbé wrote:
> On Mon, Mar 14, 2011 at 11:06 AM, Mike Scott<mike@scottsonline.org.uk>  wrote:
>>
>> Basically, I'm finding that the 8.1 and 8.2 kernels hang on certain machines
>> during bootup, specifically during device discover and module load. I've
>> tried 8.2 off the current release CD, and also 8.1 off the Debian kfreebsd
>> 6.0.0 distribution - both have the same issue.
>>

> I've got the same problem with one motherboard (Asus K8N7-E deluxe):
> Since FreeBSD 8.0, there is an ACPI bug (pr 142263) in the FreeBSD
> kernel that detect wrong address for all devices.
>
> As example, here is an extract of the dmesg on FreeBSD 7.2:
> nfe0:<NVIDIA nForce4 CK804 MCP8 Networking Adapter>  port
> 0xb000-0xb007 mem 0xd3000000-0xd3000fff irq 21 at device 10.0 on pci0
> nfe0: Reserved 0x1000 bytes for rid 0x10 type 3 at 0xd3000000
>
> But, since FreeBSD 8.0, the dmesg report this (note the reserved mem diff):
> nfe0:<NVIDIA nForce4 CK804 MCP8 Networking Adapter>  irq 21 at device
> 10.0 on pci0
> nfe0: Lazy allocation of 0x1000000 bytes rid 0x10 type 3 at 0x81000000
> nfe0: Reserved 0x1000000 bytes for rid 0x10 type 3 at 0x81000000!
>
> Try to boot by disabling ACPI into the FreeBSD boot screen… This solve
> the problem on my motherboard.

Thanks for the note.

I've tried disabling everything - floppy, usb and acpi - in the BIOS.
Still no joy; it just hangs. I don't get the 'lazy allocation' message
you do; nfe0 looks reasonable here.

I'm using boot -v. Depending on whether I use -p (single step) as well,
the hang point changes from just after "flowtable cleaner started" or
the message about a firewire bus reset I quoted earlier.

I've found the occasional similar comment on the web, such as
http://forums.freebsd.org/showthread.php?p=117767
hanging on amd64 smp hardware after 'ata pseudoraid loaded' (which is a
message I sometimes see just before the 'flowtable' message); maybe
related, maybe not. But no answers :-{

I think I'll have to give up because I'm out of ideas, settle for a
linux kernel on this particular target h/w,  and just hope this issue
doesn't affect another machine I have which is due for imminent upgrade
from 6.2 to 8.x.

--
Mike Scott
Harlow, Essex, England