Date:      Fri, 5 Oct 2001 13:46:46 -0400
From:      The Anarcat <anarcat@anarcat.dyndns.org>
To:        Brandon Fosdick <bfoz@glue.umd.edu>
Cc:        stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Why sshd:PermitRootLogin = no ?

--zYM0uCDKw75PZbzx

You must be talking about a vulnerability which allows an attacker to
"guess" the *length* of a string being passed in an SSH connection.

This has been fixed, for what I know.

And IIRC, if you use UseLogin=3Dyes, probably that it doesn't make a
difference wether you su or login root.

A.

On Fri Oct 05, 2001 at 01:42:01PM -0400, Brandon Fosdick wrote:
> Peter Radcliffe wrote:
> >=20
> > Sheldon Hearn <sheldonh@starjuice.net> probably said:
> > > Why is sshd's PermitRootLogin set to 'no' in the default installation=
 of
> > > FreeBSD?
> >=20
> > Because it's sensible.
>=20
> Given the semi-recent articles on determining passwords from sniffed ssh =
packets
> which is least secure? Allowing remote root logins over ssh or su'ing to =
root?
> It's my understanding that the aforementioned sniffing method doesn't wor=
k on
> the initial ssh login, only on passwords typed after that (i.e. while su'=
ing).=20
>=20
> It seems to me that neither method is all that secure, so maybe the defau=
lt
> should be based on convenience?
>=20

--zYM0uCDKw75PZbzx