Date:      Wed, 29 Mar 2000 20:43:32 -0500 (EST)
From:      Colin <cwass99@home.com>
To:        Gawel <gawel@sim.com.pl>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG, Grigoriy Strokin <grg@philol.msu.ru>, Eric Jacoboni <jaco@titine.fr.eu.org>
Subject:   Re: New kernel with its ATA drivers damages the filesystem

     I had the same problem during the install.  I managed to work around it by
doing the install with only one drive and the cd on the primary IDE channel,
nothing on the secondary.  I then had no difficulty adding the second drive back
into the mix.  I tried this only because I seem to remember a comment about this
during the RC stages, but I honestly can't remeber the context or list (I
searched the lists for 2 days but couldn't find it).  The kernel (GENERIC, I
haven't had time to build a custom yet) even managed to figure out the second
disk required pio without any prodding from me.
     I should mention that the single drive I used for the install was capable
of DMA modes, so this might not help.

cheers,
Colin