Date:      Fri, 23 Jul 2004 18:51:51 -0500 (CDT)
From:      "Conrad J. Sabatier" <conrads@cox.net>
To:        freebsd-amd64@freebsd.org
Subject:   ELF32 (i386) binaries on amd64 -- any forecast?

While attempting to run binaries compiled on my old 32-bit Athlon box
for i386 FreeBSD, I ran head-on, of course, into the problem of having
no loader for ELF32 on amd64.  Is there currently any work in progress
on this?  Will we eventually see full "COMPAT32" support come to pass?

What is the intended functionality of the "COMPAT_IA32" option, and how
does one use it, exactly?  Is it actually functional at present?

This would be such an enormously useful capability to have, I'm sure
I'm not the only one with more than a passing interest.

Thanks for any info.

--
Conrad J. Sabatier <conrads@cox.net> -- "In Unix veritas"