Date:      Sat, 6 Apr 1996 12:27:32 +0200 (MET DST)
From:      grog@lemis.de (Greg Lehey)
To:        current@freebsd.org
Subject:   CVS: What am I doing wrong?

I've started to re-checkout my complete -current tree, and have run
into some strange problems:

I started in an empty directory called /src/2.2-CURRENT.  With the
command

  cvs -r co src

I expect to get a complete, read-only source tree attached to the
current directory.  Instead, I get:

+ cvs checkout: Updating src
+ U src/COPYRIGHT
+ U src/Makefile
+ cvs checkout: Updating src/TODO-2.1
+ cvs checkout: Updating src/bin
+ U src/bin/Makefile

In addition, it bombs out on me in a number of directories, such as:

+ U src/sys/gnu/i386/fpemul/wm_shrx.s
+ U src/sys/gnu/i386/fpemul/wm_sqrt.s
+ cvs checkout: Updating src/sys/gnu/i386/isa
+ cvs checkout: cannot open CVS/Entries for reading: No such file or directory
+ cvs [checkout aborted]: cannot open CVS/Root: No such file or directory

Since in each case the directory doesn't exist, I can't see why it
should complain about this particular directory.  Even curiouser, if I
specify this directory specifically, it works:

+ $ cvs -r co src/sys/gnu/i386/isa
+ cvs checkout: Updating src/sys/gnu/i386/isa
+ U src/sys/gnu/i386/isa/dgb.c
+ U src/sys/gnu/i386/isa/dgbios.h
+ U src/sys/gnu/i386/isa/dgfep.h
+ U src/sys/gnu/i386/isa/dgreg.h
+ U src/sys/gnu/i386/isa/nic3008.c
+ U src/sys/gnu/i386/isa/nic3008.h
+ U src/sys/gnu/i386/isa/nic3009.c
+ U src/sys/gnu/i386/isa/nic3009.h
+ U src/sys/gnu/i386/isa/niccyreg.h

I'm using the -current cvs of about a week ago.  Is cvs broke?  Is my
checkout command screwed up?  Or is it just an artifact of the phase
of the moon?

Greg